Saturday, August 29, 2009

Deep and Wide

The past few days have been extremely busy, and I haven’t had a lot of time to spend talking with Gram. I don’t think I’ve ever heard Gram complain about anything, really, even the lack of time people get to spend with her. I had told her, at the inception of this blog that I would be writing down her words and sharing them with others. I sat down with Gram for a while yesterday and she was speaking again of God’s love. She never tires of talking about all He means to her!

Gram spoke of the ocean. She said, *“God’s love is like the ocean. When we stand at the shore, and can see miles of ocean all the way to the horizon, and we feel small as we try to take it all in, knowing that the ocean stretches all over the globe. What we can’t see is the ocean under the surface. It’s like viewing the tip of the iceberg. Under the ocean, hidden from view, is a vast expanse of life and miles of depth. There is another world full of activity constantly moving and fluctuating. Even if we could see the entire surface of the ocean, encompassing the earth, we would still only have a small idea of what the ocean is really like. Underneath the sea, there is marine life so colorful and majestic, we can only imagine the beauty of it all, even with what science reveals to us today.”

Gram continued, “Our perception of God’s love while we’re here on earth is like viewing the surface of the ocean. It’s beautiful and breathtaking, but we can only comprehend a fraction of what really exists. When we get to heaven, it will be as if we are being plunged under the waters, and can view and experience the fullness of the entirety of the love of God! It will be like nothing we have ever imagined we could experience in our natural state. What a journey of discovery that will be!”

“We should write this down and share it with others, “ Gram said.

I love to share the wisdom of Gram’s 97 years! She accepts the love and promises of God, fully trusting, as a child would, yet on the opposite end of the spectrum, she has so many years of “tried and true” service to the Lord. Gram says that He has always been faithful. Gram has had her share of trials, such as the death of her firstborn child as she held him in her arms an infant, after a careless accident in the hospital. Also, when I was a teenager, I asked Gram if there was ever a time she thought she was going to die. Gram told me that, after she had the twins, she had such a severe care of anemia, she believed she was going to die, “But, I didn’t worry,” she said, “I knew that the Lord was with me, and my times were in his hands.”

Life isn’t about the easiest or most comfortable path we can tread. Life is about trusting in the love of God toward us. Some of the most contented people are not the ones who have had a life of smooth sailing, but rather a life of childlike faith and trust in a personal relationship with their Heavenly Father.

In Zephaniah 3:17, God’s joy with His children is expressed – “The Lord thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; He will save, He will rejoice over thee with joy; He will rest in His love, He will joy over thee with singing”.

Imagine the mighty God rejoicing over you, singing! What a beautiful, perfect, sound that would be! That’s the powerful and personal love that Gram wants everyone to know about as we view the love of God as the surface of the ocean at sunrise.
I can’t wait to hear the Lord singing and rejoicing as I someday cross over to heaven and am plunged into the fullness of His vast love!

*Paraphrased*

4 comments:

  1. Gram is one of those exceptional figures that you one day hope to emulate. When I was a child growing up across the street from Gram I had no idea of her wisdom and probably didn't care to understand it either. Like kids do, I was there, I heard what was said, I participated often in family events, and now realize how fortunate I was (we all were) to have so much time with our grandparents. Grammy's stature and voice certainly were no match for Grampy's physical strength and his booming Beal voice, but watch her and listen to her and she could hold her own and then some. Always quiet, but wise and observant, Grammy always has a smile in her eyes. She always found the brighter side in any scenario and is still armed with a quick sincere laugh.

    I am not sure when the realization happens and maybe it's different for everyone, but these people in our lives, like Gram, should be appreciated, loved, respected, and always remembered. Remembered by how we carry on and how we pass on the handling of experiences we heard from them, and the ones we have experienced ourselves. I am fortunate to have been blessed with so many examples on both sides of my family on how to live life as an upstanding, exemplary individual. I never had to read these things in a book, or look somewhere else to find outstanding role models. There were, and are, plenty of examples in the family, and I got to spend time with them on a regular basis. I honestly hope that as the years pass that I am able to speak with just a touch of the wisdom, artfulness, and conviction that my grandmother does.

    Thanks for sharing Liz. Love ya Gram.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve...is that you? lol Your comments were so articulate. I'm so grateful that I was somehow able to be a part of (one side) of your family as a child. Thanks so much for taking the time to write down your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz -
    Thanks for sharing "Gram Time". There's so many memories in her mind. It must be a blast to roll around in those moments and just take them all in. Thanks again. I hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a gift for writing! Your posts are very inspirational and you are very fortunate to have your Gram as an influence and example in your life (and now to share with others through this blog!)

    ReplyDelete