Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Blame Game

In the course of conversation the other day, Gram told me about a time when she was speaking to an audience. The question she asked was, "Who was the first person to be 'blamed' in the Bible?"

I thought for a moment, and said, "I guess it would be Adam, Eve, or the serpant."

Gram said that most of her class also gave the same answer, but in reality, the first person ever accused was God, Himself. After Adam and Eve ate of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, they hid themselves when they heard the voice of the Lord walking in the garden in the cool of the day. They were suddenly aware of their nakedness. When God asked them why they were hiding, and whether they had eaten from the tree, Adam said, "The woman, whom THOU gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat." (Genesis 3:11, 12)

Gram went on to say that all through the Bible, and in everyday life, we often blame God or others when things go wrong. God is perfect, yet He bears the brunt of our accusations, usually unspoken, when things are not right. Have you ever had a time when, after choosing a path that was not blessed by God, you secretly blame God when things begin to go downhill? I know I have.

James 1:12-15 says: Blessed is the man that endureth temptation; for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love Him. Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth He any man. But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

In these verses, we receive a promise from God, that if we endure through and in temptation, we will receive the crown of life. Sometimes, here on earth, people make empty promises, but we know that a promise from the perfect and true God, will be kept. I love God's promises!

We also learn that God cannot be tempted, and he does not tempt anyone to sin. The progression of lust to sin is developed in our own hearts, apart from the direction of the Lord. It seems like a "no-brainer" that we would not blame God for the consequences, yet when the dust settles, we cry out at Him asking why He has allowed so much pain or suffering! Sometimes the suffering is there to help us mature, but often, it is because we have allowed ourselves to create a scenario in our own lives that will ultimately bring pain, just as Adam did in the garden.

No matter what happens, we can be confident that the work Christ did on the cross is sufficient to restore us back to a right relationship with the Father. I thank God for his grace and forgiveness, even for the sin of blaming Him when I do wrong. He is always patient and forgiving!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Thats true and thats what i thought was Adam and Eve Plus the serpent would be blame but i never would of thought of God i was surprised and plus thats true cause when my life goes down hill i alway ask God Why and i even doubt him but i think this was good cause now i know to alway thank the lord in good and bad times THANK YOU!!! this inspired me alot Thanks Again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to select anonymous for my profile, but only because I don't remember my Google account info. I'm Janice Cartwright and I want to tell you how much spiritual "feeding" I have received from your story in Guideposts and also your blog. The story came at a time when I felt discouraged; it was just what I needed.

    Thank you and thanks be to God for placing you in Gram's life- and Gram in yours. What a blessing being multiplied for so many!

    In this I see the Father has been faithful through time to answer Jesus' prayer to Him on the night He was taken, (John 17) “I am not praying only on their behalf, but also on behalf of those who believe in me through their testimony, that they will all be one, just as you, Father, are in me and I am in you. I pray that they will be in us, so that the world will believe that you sent me. The glory you gave to me I have given to them, that they may be one just as we are one – I in them and you in me – that they may be completely one, so that the world will know that you sent me, and you have loved them just as you have loved me."

    Keep writing, Elizabeth, God is using you to bring to believers a strong sense of that one-ness He spoke of, and as well those who who are on the wrong path into a saving relationship with Jesus. :)

    ReplyDelete