Thursday, November 19, 2009

Forgiveness Part Three

Gram quoted Ephesians 4:26 to me a few nights ago..."Be ye angry and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath".

I told her that people in Alaska have so much more time to be angry, due to the extended daylight hours. We both smiled at that, but I didn't want to lose the message that the Apostle Paul was giving to the Ephesians.

I spend a lot of time in my head being angry. I don't usually express this anger to anyone, but if I spill something on the floor, or get bent out of shape over something I remember someone saying to me - whether it be two minutes ago, or two years ago, a barrage of anger, frustration or bitterness begins attacking my mind. I also know I'm not alone when I confess that, when I lie on my pillow at night, there are times that I focus on something that made me angry during the day, and I just don't let it go.

Why would the Lord tell us to put our wrath to bed at night? Well, I looked up the definition of wrath. Wrath is a noun, which means...

1.strong, stern, or fierce anger; deeply resentful indignation; ire.
2.vengeance or punishment as the consequence of anger


Again, why would the Lord not want us to take THAT to bed with us? It sounds like one of those monsters that lurk under the bed at night, doesn't it? Common sense says that having wrath as a partner in our bed would be extremely unhealthy for us. It's also true that some of the things we mull over before we go to sleep begin to transfer over into our dreams, and we wake feeling exhausted after wrestling with all that bothers us.

Even though we feel like we are justified in our anger, and we can't seem to think about anything else, we are slowly being eaten alive by our anger if we do not learn to put it in it's place and allow the Lord to control it, and remove it by sundown.

Here's another thought. How many of us go to bed when the sun goes down? I know I don't. Just as many of us remember that the rainbow is a promise to us from God, it would be good to see a beautiful sunset, and remember that it's there to remind us to release our anger and wrath. What gentle and beautiful evenings (after sundown) we may be missing because we ignore the sunset!

Even though the Bible states that we are allowed to be angry, we need to remember that the only anger approved of by God is anger without sin. This anger is righteous and should be put away by sundown. God's direction and strict limits on anger is for our own spiritual safety, and also the safety of others. I know of no other emotion that can grow to such outrageous proportions when we nurture it in our hearts and souls. When anger matures, it cuts us off from peace, blessing, fellowship, and ultimately, from communion with the Father, Himself.

James 1:19,20 says, "Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God."

We have a little prayer box here that we read with different sayings. Today's says, "Give your troubles to God. He will be up all night, anyway."

"He will not allow your foot to slip; He who keeps you will not slumber." Psalm 121:3 NASB

Just the other day, a visiting nurse mentioned that Gram has the face of an angel. I have heard that over and over again as people remember her, or meet her for the first time. There is a noticeable absence of frown lines and wrinkles. Gram greets all with a smile and bright eyes. I wonder if, at 98 years old, she has consistently put her anger in it's place. The nurses are often amazed that Gram is in such good health, having hardly taken anything more than a vitamin and occasional Tylenol in her life. Could it be the absence of persistent anger or wrath? I wonder.

The next time God shows you a sunset, lift up your heart, with all it's hurt, pain and frustration, and send it up to your merciful Father in heaven!! He will take your burdens and bear them for you as you obey His Word. Releasing the wrath is another form of forgiveness. Forgiveness for yourself and others. Release brings peace.

I would love to hear your comments if you are blessed by these posts. I, also, need to do these things that I write about, and would be so encouraged to hear from you. We are all in this together as we travel on our own unique paths to heaven!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your testimony in the Sept. issue of Guideposts, and for posting "Forgiveness Part 3" on your blog. They have already been a revelation and blessing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your suggestion for using a beautiful sunset as a reminder to put away our wrath is a good one. I had never connected the dots in exactly that way. Thank you for sharing (my husband says the word 'share' is hackneyed :) but I can't think of a better one right now)this thought.

    ReplyDelete