Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Plan of Salvation

I have dedicated this blog site to the impact that my Gram has made in my life, and I hope it will be a blessing to anyone who reads it. I do know that Gram has dedicated her life to serving, loving and sharing Christ with others. I would be remiss if I did not give the source of Gram’s joy and the message of her life. As I wrote in my first post, Gram said, “That’s why we’re here”!

While I do want to share the meaningful life and impact Gram has had on me, personally, she would want all of the praise and all of the glory to focus on the One who has made her life of service possible. It is only through grace that Gram, or anyone else, is able to live a life of love and devotion to others. And, it is only through Christ that we are able to have an abundant life that overflows into the lives of others with bountiful blessings in return..

What would Gram most want others to know about her? That she belongs to the family of God. That she is a sinner, saved by grace. If you were here in her living room as I am, she would want to introduce you to the love of her life – Jesus Christ.

In the Bible, Romans 1:16 says, “For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth.”

Salvation is a word we use to describe our acceptance and belief in God’s gift of eternal life. The free gift of salvation is only received by us through the death of God’s only son, Jesus, who left heaven to come to earth as a human to save all humanity from the consequences of our sin.

The Bible teaches that God loves you! “For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life” John 3:16

AND…God wants you to know Him personally! “Now this is eternal life, that men may know Him, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom He has sent”. John 17:3

BUT…We are all separated from God and His love because God is pure and we are all sinners. “As it is written, there is none righteous, no not one.” Romans 3:10 “But your iniquities have separated you from God; and your sins have hidden His face from you, so that He will not hear” Isaiah 59:2 “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. Being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus.” Romans 3:23, 24

Because we are sinners, we are all destined to die an earthly death, but our souls live on eternally. The one who rejects Christ’s gift in this life goes on to eternal death and separation forever from God in hell. “For the wages of sin is death…” The one who accepts the free gift of salvation goes on to live eternally in heaven with God and other believers “…but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” Romans 6:23

How do we receive the gift of God through Christ? It’s called faith. We must have faith that Christ was sent to the earth by God the Father. We must believe that Christ walked the earth as a man, but was also without sin, because He was also God in the flesh. Jesus, as the perfect, sinless sacrifice, paid the ultimate price for our sin. We must believe that there is a penalty for sin, and it is death and eternal separation from God, because God cannot have any fellowship with sinners apart from a sacrifice.

That’s not the end of the story!!! Jesus Christ was crucified and died on the cross for the sins of all the world (including our own), past, present and future! He did not remain dead – he rose from the grave on the third day, and ascended into Heaven when all was accomplished according to the scriptures, and He is alive and with God! This was God’s plan because He loves us and wants to enjoy a relationship with us, which was made possible by the sacrifice of His son.

JESUS is the only way to restore a relationship and communication between you and God. “For there is one God and one mediator between God and men (and women) – the man CHRIST JESUS: Who gave himself a ransom for ALL…” I Timothy 2:5,6

Salvation is a gift. We cannot earn the gift, and we cannot do enough good works to be rewarded by the gift. We simply have to receive it. “But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become the children of God” John 1:12. “For by grace (undeserved favor) ye are saved through faith; and not of yourselves (there’s nothing you could possibly do) – it is the GIFT of God. Not of works, lest anyone should boast” Ephesians 2:8,9.

The way to eternal life, and abundant blessings here on earth is through Christ! “And this is eternal life, that they might know Thee (God), the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou (God) has sent.” John 17:3.

Salvation involves:

Acknowledging our need – admitting we have sinned and desiring to turn away from that sin.
Believing Jesus Christ died for us and accepting His cleansing and forgiveness of our sins.
Choosing to invite Christ into your life as the one in control of your life. You will be amazed at the peace and joy you will have in giving Him control – no more trying to be good enough. We are made perfect in Christ. We will still sin, because we are sinners by nature, but we have grace day after day, moment after moment, by confessing our sins to Christ and knowing that He always forgives us.

Many people begin with a prayer that opens the door to a beautiful relationship with our Creator and Savior. You don’t have to try to impress God, just tell God what’s on your heart….you might want to pray something like this:

Dear Lord,
I know I have done wrong. I have tried to do things my own way for too long. I want to know you personally, and I am willing, with your help, to turn from my life of sin. I believe Jesus Christ died for me. Please come into my life and I thank you for already forgiving my sins and offering your perfect gift of salvation. I now receive your gift, and receive you as my Lord and Savior.

The moment you truly believe and have faith in what the Holy Bible tells us about God and salvation, Christ comes into your life, you become a child of God, your sins are forgiven, you have eternal life, and you begin a great adventure of knowing God personally! You can never lose your salvation – you become filled with the Holy Spirit of God, and He seals us unto the day of redemption!

If you have received God’s free gift of salvation today, all of heaven is cheering for you right now! Welcome to the Family of God!

“For I know the thoughts I think toward you, says the Lord. Thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you an expected end (hope and a future). Then shall you call upon me, and pray unto me, and I will hear you. And you shall seek me, and find me, when you shall search for me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29:11-13

I will continue to write about lessons learned from my Gram, but this is the most important post of them all! “That’s why we’re here”!

1 comment:

  1. Our infinitely complex God takes His greatest work for us, Salvation, and makes it simple and equal for every person. He is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete