Saturday, October 3, 2009

Freely

The house is quiet here tonight. My youngest two kids went to spend the night at my oldest daughter's apartment. Generally, after supper, I spend some time reading a few chapters to my Gram from various nonfiction books. We just finished Hope Rising by Kim Meeder (highly recommended!)

Gram decided that she was a little weary, so she didn't want to begin another book tonight, so we read the love chapter from the Bible. 1 Corinthians 13. After I finished reading, we sat quietly together and enjoyed the lack of commotion that generally swirls around us at this hour of the night.

In the silence, my heart began to flood with gratitude and love for this little woman who has been a four foot nine inch warrior for Christ. I thanked her for showing me and countless other people the love of Christ. Gram simply smiled and said, "Freely you have received, freely give"(Matt 10:8b). I began to openly weep as I told her of the times I knew Christ loved me because of the way Gram loved me. I was decidedly unlovable in the worst of my rebellion. I never lashed out at Grampy or Gram in my depravation, but I became very distant and broke off our relationship so I could be away from their watchful eyes to do my own things. Things that would have broken their hearts.

There were many times I would come back to visit them, making small talk about anything and nothing, with an unrepentant heart. They continued to show their love by telling me I was in their daily prayers. I believed them. As I was growing up, we daily got on our knees in the living room after breakfast to pray and lift up our loved ones, enemies, presidents and also offered special prayer for those who were hurting or rejecting the Lord. Every single day.

So tonight, I just wanted to thank my little Gram for being a vessel for Christ all these years. Gram told me that Christ is joyful when we receive His love, and His joy is multiplied when we take that love and pass it on to others. I am still amazed and learning that I can bring joy to my Savior! Joy to MY Savior! Imagine!

After I was able to tell Gram all that was on my heart, we prayed and I kissed her forehead as I always do before saying good-night. I thanked the Lord for His blessings and for His loving hand on my life. Where would I be if it weren't for the steadfastness of other Christians who simply and consistently walked the walk of faith - unashamed of the Gospel, and always ready to show His love to others.

Is there someone in your life who has consistently pointed you toward Christ by their testimony, witness, love? Someday, it will be too late to thank them. Don't let your opportunity pass! You may weep, as I wept tonight, but as I wrote to another great woman of influence in my life tonight, "Aren't tears of joy and appreciation so much different than tears of regret and sadness!"

Tell them, thank them, emulate them, and one day you will hear your Lord say, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant...enter thou into the joy of thy Lord" (Matt 25:21)

THANK YOU - Ray Boltz

I dreamed I went to heaven And you were there with me;
We walked upon the streets of gold Beside the crystal sea.
We heard the angels singing Then someone called your name.
We turned and saw a young man running And he was smiling as he came.

And he said, "Friend you may not know me now." And then he said, "But wait,
You used to teach my Sunday School When I was only eight.
And every week you would say a prayer Before the class would start.
And one day when you said that prayer, I asked Jesus in my heart."

Thank you for giving to the Lord. I am a life that was changed.
Thank you for giving to the Lord. I am so glad you gave.

Then another man stood before you And said, "Remember the time
A missionary came to your church And his pictures made you cry.
You didn't have much money, But you gave it anyway.
Jesus took the gift you gave And that's why I'm here today."

Thank you for giving to the Lord. I am a life that was changed.
Thank you for giving to the Lord. I am so glad you gave.

One by one they came Far as the eye could see.
Each life somehow touched By your generosity.
Little things that you had done, Sacrifices made,
Unnoticed on the earth, In heaven, now proclaimed.

And I know that up in heaven You're not supposed to cry
But I am almost sure There were tears in your eyes.
As Jesus took your hand And you stood before the Lord.
He said, "My child, look around you. Great is your reward."

Thank you for giving to the Lord. I am a life that was changed.
Thank you for giving to the Lord. I am so glad you gave.

Never put off for tomorrow what you could do today

1 comment:

  1. Wow Thats was amazing and your so lucky to have such a wonderful relationship with your gran. :) The Lord will bless you in whatever you do. And i hope you are doing well. :)

    ReplyDelete